Experience the Willamette During RiverFest!
To fully appreciate the Willamette River (the 13th largest in the continental U.S.) and the unique economic and natural environments it creates, there's simply no substitute for first-hand experience. In Portland, walking or biking along the Willamette - or getting out on it - is both easy and exciting.
And there's no better time to dive into a Willamette experience than during RiverFest!
On this page, the City of Portland's Rivers Office offers a few suggestions on how to experience the Willamette.
NOTE: the following list is not intended to be exhaustive; listing of any site, organization, or firm does not constitute an endorsement by the City of Portland or River Renaissance.
Click any selection below for a variety of links to help you fully experience the Willamette during RiverFest:
- Springwater on the Willamette Trail
Located in SE Portland. Includes disabled access restroom, natural area, paths - paved, picnic tables, trails - biking, trails - equestrian, trails - hiking, and vista point.
- Vera Katz Eastbank Esplanade
Located in downtown Portland, eastbank. Includes boat dock, natural area, paved paths, statue or public art, biking, hiking, visitor attraction, and vista point.
- Gov. Tom McCall Waterfront Park
Located in downtown Portland. Includes boat dock, disabled access restroom, fountain, historical site, paths - paved, statue or public art, trails - biking, and visitor attraction.
- Oaks Bottom Wildlife Refuge
Located in SE Portland. Includes natural area, trails - biking, trails - hiking, and visitor attraction.
- Cathedral Park
Located in North Portland. Includes boat dock, boat ramp, disabled access restroom, dog off-leash area, paved paths, picnic tables, and outdoor stage.
- Willamette Park
Located in SW Portland. Includes boat dock, boat ramp, disabled access picnic area, disabled access restroom, dog off-leash area, paths - paved, paths - unpaved, picnic site - reservable, picnic tables, playground, soccer field, and tennis court.
- Elk Rock Island
Located in SE Portland. Includes natural area, and trails - hiking.
- Linnton Park
Located in NW Portland near the community of Linnton. Includes natural area.
- Kelley Point Park
Located in North Portland at the confluence of the Columbia and Willamette Rivers. Includes disabled access restroom, historical site, paths - paved, paths - unpaved, picnic site - reservable, picnic tables, statue or public art, trails - hiking, & vista.
- Lotus Isle Park
Located in North Portland on Tomahawk Island. Includes paths - paved, picnic tables, and playground.
- Powers Marine Park
Located in SW Portland near the Sellwood Bridge. Includes picnic tables.
- South Waterfront Park
Located in SW Portland along the Willamette River. Includes disabled access restroom, paths - paved, and statue or public art.
- Sellwood Riverfront Park
Located in SE Portland. Includes boat dock, disabled access restroom, dog off-leash area, paths - paved, paths - unpaved, picnic tables, and stage - outdoor.
- Ross Island
Located in South Portland in the Willamette River.
- South Waterfront Greenway
Located in SW Portland.
- Cruises and Tours
- Doing-It-Yourself: Boat, Canoe and Kayak Resources
- Willamette River Recreation Guide (pdf, 1.8 MB)
- A Paddler's Access Guide - Columbia Slough (pdf, 1.4 MB)
- Portland's Willamette River Atlas
- Paddling Clubs and Classes
- Alder Creek Kayak & Canoe
- NW Discovery
- Oregon Kayak and Canoe Club
- Oregon Ocean Paddling Society
- PDX Girl Paddler
- PDX Kayaker
- Portland Boathouse
- Portland Community College classes
- Portland Kayak Company
- Portland Parks and Recreation classes
- RiversWest Small Craft Center
- Sportcraft Marina
- Boating Safety
- Oregon Marine Board
- Multnomah County River Patrol
- Portland Fire & Rescue
- Portland - U.S. Power Squadron
- Clubs and Associations
- Dragon Boat Clubs
- Rowing Resources
- Oregon Rowing Unlimited
- Portland Boat Club
- Portland Women's Rowing
- RiverPlace Athletic Club - Rowing Center
- Rose City Rowing Club
- Station L Rowing Club
- Wasabi Rowing Club
- Willamette Rowing Club
- Portland Area Sailing/Yachting Resources
- Portland Oregon Visitors Association
- Cathedral Park Jazz Festival
- Christmas Ship Parade
- End of the Oregon Trail Interpretive Center (Oregon City)
- Museum of the Oregon Territory (Oregon City)
- Oaks Amusement Park
- Oregon Maritime Museum
- Oregon's Mt. Hood Territory
- Oregon Museum of Science and Industry (OMSI)
- Portland Aerial Tram
- Portland Saturday Market
- The Bridges of Portland
- Waterfront Blues Festival
Volunteer for RiverFest. RiverFest is a great opportunity to get your feet wet! Come down by the riverside and volunteer for one of our many fun events. Contact Class Act Events 503.295.7890 for more information.